Cervical spondylosis which is also called as arthritis of neck, is a condition which involve wear and tear of the bone, joints or discs that are connected to neck. As the disks dehydrate and shrink, symptoms of osteoarthritis develop, including bony projections along the edge of bones. This usually affects middle-aged and elderly people. With age, the discs of the neck slowly break down, lose fluids and become thick.
Risk factor of Cervical Spondylosis:
- Occupation: work those are associated with using laptops, mobile phone where you have to bend your neck with different positions, heavy weight lifting activities etc.
- Age: this is usually a part of age syndrome.
- Genetical factor: some times symptoms may be visible genetically in the family.
- Injuries: previous neck injuries may increase the risk of cervical spondylosis.
- Others: smoking habit, overweight, stress can cause cervical Spondylosis.
Cause of Cervical Spondylosis
- Degeneration: With time the spinal disks become stiffer, and the tissue has less elasticity.
- Dehydrated disks: At the age of 40 or later, most persons suffer with this. The gel-like fluid inside these disks starts to dry out causing cervical pain when collapse.
- Herniated disks: Crack developed by spinal disks sometimes press spinal cord and nerve roots which can cause severe neck pain, arm numbness. Aging can be the reason for herniated disks.
- Bone spurs: Producing extra amount of bone to strengthen the spine may some times hurt the spinal cords and nerves result in back and neck pain.
- Stiffness in ligaments: Ligaments in spine that connect bone to bone may become stiff with age, and makes neck feel tight and affects neck movement.
- Injury: Injury in neck due to any reason for example accident, or falling from some thing can also cause neck pain.
- Awkward positions and overusing neck movements: Working on laptops, mobile computer for long hours, bad sitting postures, lifting overweight can cause wear and tear.
- Stress: Stress because of work can also cause cervical pain.
- Diseases and tumour: Rheumatoid arthritis, and cancer affects and causes pain.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis:
- Pain: Pain is primary symptom of cervical spondylosis. Initially the pain can be around the shoulder blade later pain radiate and occur on rest such as on both the arms they can be range from mild to severe. The pain might increase when:
- Swelling: Swelling may occur due to osteophytes.
- Stiffness in joint movement: Restrictions in the movement of neck could cause muscle weakness which makes difficult even to move hands.
- Headache: It usually starts because of pain in the neck and usually occurs in the back of head.
- Tingling and numbness in arms, legs, or feet: When osteophytes cause pressure on the nerve roots may cause this.
- Tilting of neck: Inability to fully turn the neck or bent the neck cause pain
- Sensation on movement of neck: Noise and sensation did happen while turning the neck.
Precautions to be taken to avoid Cervical Spondylosis:
- Do daily exercise for neck and shoulder especially in your workout routine
- Take proper meal which must contain calcium, vitamin-D , vitamin-C
- Avoid postures which will create tension in your neck
- Try to wear soft necklaces to avoid burden on neck
- Rest your body after sitting continuously
- Try to avoid still for long hours
|Monday – Friday||8.00 – 18.00|
|Saturday||9.00 – 17.00|
|Sunday||9.00 – 15.00|
- Address N.K. Aggarwal Joints & Spine Centre - Ludhiana 33-G Block, Sunet Rd, Block G, Bhai Randhir Singh Nagar, Ludhiana, Punjab 141001.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone +91-161-2460576 OR +91-97796-73359
- WhatsApp +91-8288-085734