[vc_row][vc_column][rt_image_slider image_slider_style_variation=”two” images_in_desktop=”1″ images_in_tab=”1″ image_slider_url=”8766″][vc_column_text]
The word “Coronavirus” is taken from Latin word Corona, which means Wreath or Crown and it is in an infective form. It is a pandemic disease that originated in Wuhan, China in December 2019 and has shaken the world. It is a family of hundreds of viruses that can cause the death of a person. It is a respiratory disease that continues to the entire world.
The WHO officially declared it as a pandemic disease as it is occurring over a vast geographic area and affecting a high proportion of people worldwide. Coronavirus is that disaster which we never thought of that it can happen to the world but now reality is this that almost every country is facing this outbreak. It has caused a global health emergency. Officially it is known as COVID -19. Novel coronavirus is a new strain and it is unfamiliar for our immune system.
How it spreads:
- It transmits in droplets from sneezes or coughing and this has 2-14 days incubation period which
- means people could be infectious before symptoms like cough, fever, or shortness of breath emerge.
- It is mainly spreading from person to person. A person can become more vulnerable to the virus if he or she is already sick.
- It spreads between people who are in close contact with each other.
- When an infected person sneezes or coughs, then respiratory droplets are produced and can infect another person.
- It is also possible that a person can get infected by just touching an object if that object is already touched by an infected person and then touching their mouth or eyes but this is not the main way of spread, although this can be the possibility.
- Signs of infection are cough, fever, shortness of breath, or breathing problems.
- In rare cases, Pneumonia and multiple organ failure can also be the signs.
- Difficulty in breathing is only observed in people of old age and not in youths.
- It has observed that few people who have been affected by coronavirus have no sense of smell.
- These symptoms are to be shown from 2-14 days but mostly in infected people, these are shown within 5-6 days.
- As this virus is not having a vaccine or any other treatment, so the only thing we can say is Precautions are better than cure. At this stage, it is more advisable for us to take more and more precautions as we can.
- The first most important thing is to wash your hands especially before eating or touching your nose or eyes and avoid contact with other people who have flu-like symptoms.
- Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds and use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t go outside and stay at home if you are sick.
- Don’t touch your nose, mouth, and eyes and use a tissue to cover a sneeze or cough and then throw it in the trash.
- Use a spray to disinfect light switches, desks, sinks, toilets, cell phones, keyboards, doorknobs, and other objects which are frequently touched.
- Wear masks when you go outside.
- Don’t eat junk food, eat healthy food, and drink plenty of water.
- Try to be at your home, avoid traveling and avoid outing if it is not very urgent
Myths of Coronavirus:
Snow and Cold weather cannot kill the virus
Snow and cold weather can’t kill the virus and it is a myth because a normal human body temperature remains around 36.5 to 34 degrees.
A hot bath doesn’t prevent the virus
Taking a hot shower does not prevent the virus as we know normal body temperature remains around 36.5 to 37 degrees regardless of the temperature of your water. Actually, by taking a bath with extremely hot water might burn you. So, don’t go for it and just keep your hygiene.
Does Virus transmit through mosquito?
The virus cannot be transmitted through mosquito; this is not yet confirmed to date. This virus is a respiratory virus that spreads through droplets generated from an infected person. So the best way to protect yourself is to Stay Away from Sick people.
Hand dryers are effective in killing the virus
Hand dryers are effective in eliminating virus and it’s a myth. Rather use a sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Will an ultraviolet lamp kill the virus?
An ultraviolet lamp will kill the virus, but it’s not, rather it will irritate your skin.
Will spraying alcohol work in killing the virus?
Spraying alcohol on your body will kill the virus but it doesn’t. Because the virus enters the body through nose or mouth, it doesn’t remain on the body and if you spray alcohol, it might irritate your eyes or mouth. Alcohol is used to disinfect surfaces or objects, not human beings.
Do vaccines against Pneumonia protect you from the virus?
No, This virus is new and different and researchers are trying to develop an effective vaccine for particular this disease, and WHO is supporting this. Although these vaccines are effective for respiratory-related problems but not for coronavirus.
Rinsing nose regularly with saline will help to prevent infection
No, there is no such evidence that by rinsing the nose with saline will help in preventing infection. Although there is limited evidence that by rinsing the nose with saline can help in common cold. It doesn’t help with respiratory problems.
Eating garlic will reduce the chances of being infected
No. It is right to say that garlic is a healthy food as it is having antimicrobial properties but there is no such evidence that it will protect from coronavirus.
Does it affect mainly older people?
It will be very illogical to say that it mainly affects older people. In fact, this virus can affect people of all ages whether it’s a person age 99 or 9. But yes, older people who are suffering from asthma, diabetes, or heart disease are more vulnerable to this virus.
Antibiotics are effective in treating this virus
No. These are taken only for bacteria, not for virus. So these should not be used as a prevention of coronavirus. However, if you are hospitalized for this virus, you may receive these as there is a possibility of bacterial co-infection.
Is there any specific medicine available for this virus?
No. To date, there is no specific medicine to prevent or treat this virus. One can only do is just take care of yourself and follow all preventive measures cautiously.
State-wise helpline numbers for coronavirus:
Andhra Pradesh – 0866-2410978
Arunachal Pradesh – 9536055743
Assam – 6913347770
Bihar – 104
Chhattisgarh – 07712235091
Goa – 104
Gujarat – 104
Haryana – 8558893911
Himachal Pradesh – 104
Jharkhand – 104
Karnataka – 104
Kerala – 0471-2552056
Madhya Pradesh – 0755-2527177
Maharashtra – 020-26127394
Manipur – 3852411668
Meghalaya – 9366090748
Mizoram – 102
Nagaland – 7005539653
Odisha – 9439994859
Punjab – 104
Rajasthan – 0141-2225624
Sikkim – 104
Tamil Nadu – 044-29510500
Telangana – 104
Tripura – 104
Uttarakhand – 104
Uttar Pradesh – 18001805145
West Bengal – 3323412600
Helpline numbers of Union Territories:
Andaman and Nicobar Island – 03192-232102
Chandigarh – 9779558282
Dadra and Nagar Haveli And Daman & Diu – 104
Delhi – 011-22307145
Jammu and Kashmir – 1912520982/0194-2440283
Ladakh – 1982256462
Lakshadweep – 4896263742
Puducherry – 104
There is no need to be scared of this virus, just take care of yourself. Stay at home, eat healthily, drink plenty of water, avoid being social, avoid traveling, wash your hands frequently, and be positive.